Saturday, December 10, 2016

Interview with Mom (Rachel Garner)

What is your favorite candy: chocolate candy with caramel or fruit fillings
 
A story about my Nanny (Grandma Peggy Whearley)

When I was about 10, I would go visit my Nanny when I was out of school. Sometimes I would take a bus, then my Grandma Jorgensen would pick me in Provo and drive me to Salem, where Nanny lived. While I was at Nanny's house I would help her with her dog kennel (she raised cocker spaniel dogs to sell to people). I had jobs like sweeping out the indoor pens, refilling water and food, scooping poop in the outdoor pens, hauling gravel into the outside pens, and taking trash out and burning it. I also helped Nanny by mowing her lawn and cleaning in the house. When the chores were all done, we would have a nice big breakfast before starting afternoon jobs. We use the kitchen table I ate at in my house now, it has had the top refinished a couple times, and we still have 3 of the 4 chairs. After afternoon chores, we would usually play card games. Nanny liked canasta and particularly enjoyed winning. In the evenings, again after chores, we would have dinner and a big bowl of ice cream. She usually had seasonal favorites like peppermint, egg nog, or something like that in the winter.